Everyday we are bombarded with choices, especially when we walk into a store and see all the different products are offered to us! How can we choose what products to buy becomes the key question as look to all the options available.
The main idea behind product offerings is to get us to purchase on demand. When we enter a retail store, we are there to make a purchase, and some 70% of retail purchases aren't decided until the customer is actually in the store! That makes it quite clear the impact and importance effective marketing can do and why it's critical to utilize in-store advertising, such as a Point of Purchase Display.
So, to begin with, what exactly is a Point of Purchase Display and how can it be utilized. A Point of Purchase Display is marketing or advertising material placed next to the product or merchandise it is promoting. Many displays are set-up at the check-out counter, while others are scattered through the aisles of the store. The idea behind this is to generate interest and an impulse purchase. Many large displays in high-traffic areas of the retail store have been known to increase sales over 60 fold from similar items sold off the regular shelf! Clearly one can observe what a tool this can be to generate new and repeat sales!
So, if you are in business and considering how to improve sales, you should consider a Point of Purchase Display. Realizing that each branded product needs a unique and specific look of it's own and may need to fit specific retail needs, here are six key elements to put together your custom designed and branded retail Point of Purchase Display:
1. What are the goals of your products and what do you want to accomplish. Understanding exactly what you want to here is essential to retail Point of Purchase Display development. Do you want to increase sales, or do you have specific news to share with your customers, or are you wanting to promote an upcoming event, or generate on-demand sales with your displays. You may want a display ONLY during the holiday season to promote a special seasonal product.
2. Understand what you are promoting and build your display accordingly. A premium product may require a premium display or risk confusing the consumer of the value of that product. Your display should reinforce your brand, including what colors and shapes you should consider. It should be customized for your branded products and complement them. Realize that there are different display types, such as free-standing aisle displays where products are put on display with signage next to the products, end of counter displays that are much smaller in nature, yet promote your specific products albeit less costly ones, and dump-ins where products are put in a large bin in an isle or even at the entrance of a store.
3. Budgets are a key factor in determining what you can afford vs what you may need. Combining marketing budget with advertising and other budgets could be essential to make this happen. There could also be costs associated with what a retailer may charge to allow you to occupy that floor or counter space.
4. Determine which retailers your display will be designed for, especially since there could be large and small retails stores, or even locations within a mall that are important to the design process.
5. Consider the space inside each store and what will be allowed to promote your branded products. Will your display be at the end of an aisle or in a large kiosk in the middle of a mall, or will it be at the check-out counter, or even at the store entrance. Every location will dictate the size and scope of your Point of Purchase Display.
6. Your display should evoke emotion, allowing the customer to associate with your unique branded product. An emotional connection encourages customers to interact with your product and allow that product to be touched, picked up, tested, or even sampled. This interaction makes it more likely the customer will make a purchase. You want a creative and unique display that every customer who passes by will notice. You will want a display that promotes your products so that when customers leave the retail store, they will be thinking about your products and wanting to share their experience with their family and friends!
Point of Purchase Displays are essential to helping grow your business in a retail store. Helping customers relate to your branded products and invoking repeat sales with this association is a great reason for a display! Realize that displays are powerful selling tools and that a poorly designed display can make or break your business. No consumer product company can afford mistakes or failures in that area!
At Ashtonne Packaging, we understand the importance of getting it right the first time and taking the time to understand your business goals before we move on to the design stage. We ask very detailed questions of our clients, as sometimes they don't even know what they don't know. We routinely visit stores to stay up to speed with trends and the competitive landscape you will operate under. We have design logistics and success in understanding the supply chain for your products. As your business partner, our success will be predicated upon your success and we want to ensure that happens. Our experience and expertise can help your business!
If you need help in any way, please feel free to call us at 877-838-6808 or schedule a brief meeting with one of our packaging experts NOW!